In a review of existing evidence on the health value of fixes to housing, researchers say that improving buildings to enhance “thermal comfort” – with central heating or insulation, for instance – pays off in both physical and mental well-being.
“I think the main message is that housing improvement can improve health, especially if it’s warmth and energy improvements targeting people with respiratory illnesses,” said Hilary Thomson, the study’s lead author from the Medical Research Council in Glasgow, UK.
Several studies have tied poor housing conditions to poor health, but there are some questions about the quality of evidence for that link, according to Thomson and her colleagues.
Tag CloudAffordable Housing appliances Build building Carbon Footprint Chicago chicago green schools children Community design ecological footprint electric energy environment epa geo-thermal global Grants green green building green building energy efficiency green building preparation and development Green Elementary green energy Green Gadgets Green Grid green homes green housing green it green school Green Thumb Health healthy healthy affordable housing healthy design and build healthy home initiative healthy home owner education healthy homes healthy homes chicago healthy offices healthy schools Home home energy rating system (HERS) green building homes homes.healthy housing how to go green Innovation International Green lead materials methods net zero performance prefab products ratings Recycle Resources safety School - College School - High Schools Smart Building Smart Buildings solar Steve Glenn sustainability sustainable sustainable architecture sustainable design sustainable home maintenance Technology united states green schools Vendor
- How Affordable is Housing in U.S. Today? sco.lt/6p7SVd https://t.co/9ohXNkVo0B 6 days ago
- The Chicago Housing Authority’s sleeping giant sco.lt/5ed5yD https://t.co/XSrIrqXaue 1 week ago
- Take action and ask your alderman to support expanded energy benchmarking ordinance ilenviro.salsalabs.org/chicagobenchma… 1 week ago
- What Trump’s tax reform could mean for affordable housing sco.lt/6hgizx https://t.co/l6jsUuXTsQ 1 week ago
- Super voucher isn't a four-letter word, but "poor" is sco.lt/6zkS0H https://t.co/d6SolHB3X9 3 weeks ago
November 2017 M T W T F S S « Mar 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30